Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dark Evening

Walt Disney famously said, "If you are going through hell, keep on going." A couple of years ago I took his advice. I was working in a job that made me profoundly unhappy. It was a dark time in my life and my family was suffering some turmoil. I had previously always loved my work and had found it an oasis of hope in a crazy world. I had a few friends at work and a mentor whose advice I valued. They respected my decision to leave work and seek solace elsewhere. I haven't regretted my decision, but I have come to the conclusion that work was not the problem. I merely needed a scapegoat and work was an easy mark. I have had an amazing journey through the last two years, coming to terms with my family issues and giving birth to my son. Last night I went to a mid winter dinner with my former work mates and it felt like coming full circle. I felt that everyone knew I didn't place any blame on them and I had taken responsibility for my feelings. There was an unexpected warmth on the darkest evening of the year. Thank you God for giving me this sign that I can move through tough times without burning bridges.

No comments: