Friday, July 4, 2008

Having Faith

I was driving through the port hills yesterday, when suddenly a chicken flew in front of my car. It was very large and had a wing span of just 30 cms or so. I'm actually not sure what was keeping it aloft. It was flapping like crazy, but was hovering barely a meter above the ground. Now my experience with chickens is that they are not so good with physics. Or philosophy for that matter. The chicken and I were in the middle of Gebbies Valley. I get nervous driving on winding, hilly roads. You expect the odd cyclist, but not domestic fowl. I knew where I was going and I had my baggage of driving fears packed. What was the chicken thinking? Did it assess my speed and the wind to time it's flight perfectly? Dare I ask why did it cross the road? Animals share our planet with us, but experience it differently—each has its own abilities and gifts that allow them to interact successfully with the natural world. Animals are closer to the rhythms and cycles of nature and have fewer distractions from it than humans do. Just by being themselves they remind us of the wisdom of the universe, and that all answers are available to us when we reconnect with God.

No comments: