Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Whispers

I have a friend who yells at her young son all the time. It makes me uncomfortable, but I don't say anything because she comes from a different culture than I do and I feel I need to give her some leeway with her parenting. She took her son to their Plunket appointment the other day and the Plunket nurse told my friend that her yelling was counterproductive to disciplining her son and it was scaring him. She had no idea that she was yelling. She was completely unaware.

With this in mind I called my dad today to chat about some things going on in my family. My two youngest brothers have just moved to China and to the UK. Another brother is having a turbulent first year of marriage. Soon it will be the first anniversary of my oldest brothers death. The fact that all his children are so distant from him weighs heavily on my dad. I can tell that he dreams of having his family close. God was whispering to me today, soft words of encouragement, that I wish I could repeat to my dad without him thinking I was crazy. I wish we could be more aware of each other, not necessarily physically close, just emotionally connected. I have hope that my friend and her son will have a wonderful relationship.

No comments: